Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Wanted: A good book

I was just reflecting on how long it's been since I've read a really, REALLY good book. I think the last one was The Historian, and I was pregnant when I read that. (Gigi is now 1 1/2). I've read some fun, light books, but no really good, sink your teeth in, lose yourself in another world type of book.

In my quest for good books, I became really disenchanted with current "literary fiction". So much of it is depressing for no really good reason (books that are depressing for good reasons include: Sophie's Choice, Native Son, The Invisible Man, Absalom Absalom, The Great Gatsby - actually I wouldn't even call these depressing, just very emotionally difficult.). Also, there is an epidemic of books that don't end - it's the literary equivilent of the "fade out" ending where the chorus just repeats ad naseum and gets softer and softer. No slam, bam spectacular ending. So, I went the route of genre fiction - at least those books know how to end! So I've read a succession of light, fun books, but again, no really good literature. I'm thinking I'm going to just reread all of Jane Austen and Charles Dickens.

Also, I've noticed a lot of self-conscious, overwriting in "literary fiction". For example, I've been anxiously waiting to read The Thirteenth Tale, and it is a very compelling plot, but so overwritten it's taking me out of the story - like when the girl is staring out the window on a dark night and the book goes into a description of her "ghost" that is mimicking her every action, and then the ghost's face starts to disintegrate as though someone threw acid on her.... ok, so the girl's looking out a window and sees her reflection in the glass, then it starts to rain. C'mon people, how about just describing the rain in a nice, atmospheric way.

The point of this post is to plea for book recommendations. If you have read any seriously GOOD books -send me the titles! I need a good book! Thank goodness I already have my copy of Harry Potter reserved. ;)

3 comments:

Renee' said...

Hey Rob,
Check out Wallace Stegner's "Angle of Repose"
~Renee

Jennifer said...

Have you read The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver yet? A must! What about Blackbird House by Alice Hoffman? Another favorite, favorite here. :)

Robin L. said...

Renee - Thank you! I just put that on autobuy from Frugal Reader!

Jennifer - Yes, I read the Poisonwood Bible! I had (before my last trip to the used bookstore) all of Barbara Kingsolver's books - I love her. I think my very favorite is still Animal Dreams, though. :)

Thanks for the recommendation for Blackbird House - I'll go check that one out!!