Tuesday, June 12, 2007

P&P Redux

I'm rereading Pride and Prejudice right now - mostly because I've read the story so many times that I can be half alive and still understand it! But I'm also analyzing it as a writer for the first time.

I heard someone say "Thank goodness no one ever told Jane Austen to Show not Tell!" And it's true, she tells frequently. For example:

She was a woman of mean understanding, little information, and uncertain temper. When she was discontented, she fancied herself nervous. The business of her life was to get her daughters married; its solace was visiting and news.

So, why does it work? What I've noticed is that first she shows, then she tells, then she shows some more. Also, her showing is so clever and subtle, that without the occasional tell, the reader might not get it entirely. As it is, the telling allows her to be more interesting with the way she goes about showing.

The other thing I've noticed is she isn't afraid to let you dislike Darcy in the beginning. He's so iconic to me, that I love him from the first page - now - but when I read just the words on the page and try to forget how it turns out (and banish the lovely image of Colin Firth from my mind) I realize he isn't terribly likable at first. And even though she lets you know he's handsome, he isn't so handsome as to sway Elizabeth or the reader. Instead, it's the charming Wickham who holds the sympathy cards.

Anyway -just a few writerly thoughts on the ever interesting Austen!

PS Hostess has turned against me. All I can eat now are the sausage, egg, and cheddar breakfast sandwiches at Starbucks. I shudder to think of the fat content - but I hope they have a slightly higher nutritional value than a Twinkie!

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

great post! I think the reason why her "telling" works is because she is such a beautiful writer. Almost everyone just can't string together descriptive sentences like that, so it's better for us to "show".

those egg sandwiches sound awesome! (I'm hungry myself!)

Robin L. said...

Yeah, P&P should come with a warning label "Don't Try This at Home!" LOL!!!

Tia Nevitt said...

Oh, I just love finding other Jane Austen fans! I think the whole "show, don't tell" rule is a rather recent one. Classical literature is crammed full of telling. But, as Kathleen pointed out, Austen did it so beautifully.

Come to think of it, modern writers do a lot of telling as well. I think it is one of those rules that forces new writers to think very hard about it every time they start to tell instead of show.

When I find it necessary to impart background info, I try to do it either in dialog or in a very tense situation, in order to retain reader interest. I'm not sure yet if it works. ;)