Sunday, November 26, 2006

And now... Christmas!!

With Thanksgiving safely behind me, I can now celebrate Christmas without any fear of the sideways glance from those who think I'm slighting Thanksgiving. And sure, I am, it's not my fault that it comes in the middle of the Christmas season. ;) And I only know one Thanksgiving song - that's not much fun.

So, without further delay - on to Christmas! First, I hope you enjoy the subtle Christmas theme to the blog. I searched for days for a good Christmas template and couldn't find one with code that would work. So, we'll have to settle for the red and green theme. ;)

OK, enough intro, my first Christmas themed post is on Christmas music. I've been playing mine since October, but for those of you just pulling out the CD's, I'll offer some suggestions. Every year I buy a few new ones, and get rid of some that just didn't quite work and I've developed a list of tried and true albums.

1) Michael W. Smith's Christmas. He has several Christmas CD's, but this is the one I can't live without. It plays like a symphony, with common musical themes throughout the songs and really captures that feeling of magic and tradition that is such a part of Christmas to me. I can easily imagine myself in a chilly stone church with a boys choir and snow falling in front of gas lamps outside while I'm listening to this. In fact, Kira was named in large part due to track 6. ;)

2) Bryan Duncan Christmas is Jesus. Another old favorite - it has my all time favorite Christmas song on it "Please Come Home for Christmas". The only version of this song that comes close, is Bon Jovi's on "A Very Special Christmas 2".

3) Russ Taff - A Christmas Song - this has lots of brass and big band sounds and has survived many, many Christmases

4) Amy Grant - Home for Christmas - she also has many Christmas albums and this is far and away the best.

5) Harry Connick Jr. - When My Heart Finds Christmas - We actually had the title song of this cd sung at our wedding! I'll readily admit that I always skip past the Parade of the Wooden Soldiers, but even with that, this is a standard.

6) Ella Fitzgerald - Ella Wishes You a Swingin' Christmas - Ella, Christmas, need I say more. We've played this so many times that Kira thinks "I'm just crazy 'bout horses!" comes at the end of Jingle Bells, always.

7) Marcus Roberts - Prayer for Peace - beautiful piano album

8) Blind Boys of Alabama - Go Tell it on the Mountain - I love the Blind Boys always, and their Christmas album has a ton of energy and a good gospel feel.

9) Chris Isaak - Christmas - Well, really, it's Chris, and I'd listen to him recite the phone book. That said, this really is an outstanding album. And for any of you who might doubt his sincerity (can't think of who that might be...) I direct you to "Brightest Star". He also has some heartbreaking songs about lost love... of course... ;)

10 and 11) Brian Setzer - Boogie Woogie Christmas and Dig That Crazy Christmas - both have made it into my rotation. I believe he has 1 other out, but I haven't heard it yet.

12) Tuck Andress - Hymns, Carols, and Songs About Snow - I admit, this one grew on me, but now it's a must have. Tuck has a really unique style that you have to hear to appreciate - lots of finger picking and detailed finger work on the guitar.

13 and 14) A Very Special Christmas volumes 1 and 2 - I'm not as crazy about the other volumes but these two are must haves. See above re: Bon Jovi!

15) Diana Krall - Christmas Songs - perfect Diana Krall style applied to Christmas music - it's a no brainer.

And now for the new additions for '06!

16) Third Day - Christmas Offerings - I should first talk about my love for Third Day. I LOVE THIRD DAY!!! I've worn out Offerings 2 and several other of their CD's. They are good southern rock and love to sing about Christmas and I can't help but play this CD at full volume.

17) Sarah McLaughlin - Wintersongs - Sarah hardly has a miss and this is no exception. It's very wistful and a little melancholy at times but gorgeous. And of course no collection is complete without her bootleg duo with the Barenaked Ladies on God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. I don't know if it ever made it onto a CD, but you can iTunes the single.

Stay tuned for more Christmas themed posts, coming soon!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh, I do love Christmas CDs. I have Wintersongs coming with a shipment from Amazon any day now and I'm really excited to hear it. She covers Joni Mitchell's "River" on it and that is one of my all-time favorite songs.

I also just bought the new James Taylor Christmas CD. Now, I love, love James Taylor. He's one of my favorite musicians. But I don't really like the Christmas CD much at all. He also happens to cover "River" on this it and it's just not a song I think a man should sing. Others on the CD fall flat for me too, darn it. But I'm looking forward to Wintersongs!

Robin L. said...

See, that's the thing about Christmas cd's. Someone you normally love might not do Christmas very well. It's a delicate art, the Christmas cd!

Do you have Sarah yet? River is one of my all time favorite songs and she does a great job on it! But... my all time favorite rendition is randomly Robert Downey Jr. I know, it sounds crazy, but he does a great job!