Sunday, March 18, 2007

Books vs. TV

Bookseller Chick had a great post the other day asking about why 250 million people watch Grey's Anatomy but very few books get close to those kinds of numbers. I can't link directly to it, but if you'd like to read her post, it's the March 14th entry.

Anyway, I'd been thinking along the same lines over the last few weeks. I've had such a hard time finding a new book that I really loved, and here I am a writer and lover of books. What gives?!

So I was thinking about this as I was watching Grey's last week. And I think that the reason I so love the shows that I do is because the writers have created really likable characters, that stay *in* character, and basically I enjoy hanging out with them for the hour that I tune in. I want to have a cup of coffee in Luke's Diner, or hang out on the beach with Sawyer, and listen to Izzy give George a hard time.

Whereas a lot of the books I've picked up lately are either really beautifully written, but don't create characters that I like and want to spend time with. Or, they *do* create great characters, then just put them through the ringer. Enough, enough. I challenge writers out there to create a really great child character and then *not* have her abused at some point in the book. PLEASE!

The books I love, are books that create likeable characters and create a setting for them that I can "hang out" in. This is the genius of Harry Potter - wands and warlocks are just icing on the cake, I really want to hang out at school with Harry and Hermione. It's also what makes the Amelia Peabody books so good. I just want to be on a dig with Amelia and Emerson.

Anyway - that's my thought for the day! Agree? Disagree?

5 comments:

Therese said...

Gosh, you've got your blog energy back in a big way--lots to read here to catch up!

On this particular topic, my two-cents is that putting characters through the ringer, as you say, is what makes for drama (though maybe not the sort that suits your taste?). I'm a little confused, though, 'cause Harry and co. certainly do go through that ringer! I'm guessing it's a particlar kind of abuse that's troubling you...

What's great about literature is that there are books for everyone's tastes. Of course, you have to *find* them, and when you're a SAHM, that's easier said than done! :)

Amy C said...

Hey Robin--this is Amy Collard. Just wanted to say hi and let you know you have at least one reader of your blog here in Croatia! =)

I think you've got a point there about books--I often find myself commenting, "Yes, it was an amazing and well-written book, but really depressing" when I describe my latest read. I have to throw fun, mindless books into the mix to break it up a little. Right now I'm in the middle of "Arthur & George" by Julian Barnes. So far, so good. Well-written, pretty interesting and not TOO depressing.

Glad you're doing well at home with the girls!

Melissa Amateis said...

I think since I've really started studying the craft of writing, finding a book that I enjoy and can immerse myself in is becoming harder and harder.

Anissa said...

I agree. Melissa hit my feeling exactly. The more I study the craft, and write myself, the harder it is to find books that I can't put down. I don't know if it's the books I'm finding, or the fact that often times I'd rather be hanging out with my own characters. Either way, it is a rather sad realization.

I do make time for Gray's though. :)

Robin L. said...

I had a nice long response to everyone that I thought had posted, but apparently disappeared. :(

Therese - I definately don't want to exise the drama from all the stories! I think it must be a matter of taste - I'm all for Harry facing many near death experiences, issues with classmates, etc... but that's a kind of conflict I expect. If in book five Dumbeldore had been revealed to be a sexual predator and Hermione hanged herself, well, that's different, and that's a lot of what I've run into lately - even in light looking genre mystery. So I've been feeling a little bushwacked lately with these depressing plots! (And yes, finding books is tough these days - I'd love some recommendations!) When I think about it, my favorite books don't have HEA's, (The Great Gatsby, Wuthering Heights), but I also don't feel blindsided by them.

Amy - so glad to know that you made it to Croatia safely with little Em! Thank you for the book recommendation, too. I feel so special to have international readers!!

Melissa and Anissa - I think writing and seeing the "bones" of the book beneath the surface does make it harder to get into the story. When I was working on xbox games, all the guys I worked with *loved* games, but after playing so many for work, if you asked them, they'd say "all the games suck." Because you just get so tired of seeing the same devices, or poor game play - stuff like that. I think it must be similar with books.