Saturday, March 17, 2007

Midnight update

I finally managed to get both kids in bed and asleep, though not till 10:30. There were many trips to get a drink of water and things like that... and I've dug out the Supernanny book. Kira noticed that and said "need some advice, huh?" I probably shouldn't have let her read the book herself. ;)

Still, eventually they fell asleep and I got some editing done. YAY! I've inputted the first chapter's worth of changes. That was after the great feat of putting the first 72 pages back into order. Ooops! So, it's just one chapter, but progress of any kind feels good. AND I've named one character whose name has eluded me until now.

I've also done a lot of work over the last month on characterization and motivation. So I know that when I get to some key scenes in my editing, they'll be much better.

Also, I've decided that the absolute hardest part of editing is discovering a plot change that needs to be made, forcing me to go back and change scenes that I love. That's the sad part - when I loved the language of the scene, but it's not saying the right thing anymore, and the new version doesn't feel as good. But... I really can't have them talking about a boat sinking if it doesn't sink anymore.

Ok, off to bed and to think about chapter two!

Goodnight blog buddies!

2 comments:

Anissa said...

You've got a smart little cookie there. Watch out!

Great job on the edits! And on naming the character. Names are hard!

I totally agree with you on changing those scenes that you love. But I have faith in you...you'll make the new ones lovable too. :)

Sounds like great progress to me. Go, Robin, go!

Melissa Amateis said...

It is literally painful to cut scenes or language that you love. But if it doesn't serve a purpose, it must go. :-) I guess that's where the phrase originated, "Murder your darlings."