Thursday, March 01, 2007

The Big Day and the Big Blizzard

Today I walked out of my client site for the very last time. My husband and I have worked so hard and so long for this day, that now that it is actually here, it feels surreal. I have a hard time believing I really won't go back to work.

All day today I was thinking about how it was the last time I would do something - the last time I'd take the back stairs to Starbucks - the last time I'd swipe my badge in the elevator - the last time I'd walk through the hallway to my cubicle - the last time I'd make myself a cup of tea or refill my coffee cup. And I realized, that along with my dear friends (and my work laptop which I LOVED) I'll really miss the familiarity of everything. I've been there longer than I've lived anywhere since I've been married, and longer than I've worked anywhere. It felt a little like leaving my college dorm.

So, I'm permitting myself to be a little wistful about it, and tomorrow I'll jump for joy at never having to write another functional specification in my entire life!

and onto the blizzard...

Driving home last night, snow started to fall about halfway into my commute. It seemed fine - not much was sticking and I was fairly far along. But traffic had slowed to about 2 miles an hour and suddenly the snow was freezing on the road and my poor little Volvo couldn't get any traction.

Ten miles from home I had to pull off into a McDonalds parking lot and try to find another way home. I was stuck. And I hadn't been able to reach my husband, who had our kids in the car, for hours. I was fine till my cell phone died and I realized I wasn't a powerful, cyber-connected commuter anymore - I was just a lady in the middle of a snowstorm in high heels with no cell phone.

Clearly this ended happily, and after a 3 hour commute my hubby came and rescued me with some help from my mom at Snow Crisis Central (aka my parent's house).

But it did make me feel really happy to know that from now on, snow can be welcomed with opened arms because I won't *have* to get to work he next day. Schools are always so sensible and close if there's snow. Hooray!

And of course, I whipped out my laptop and wrote a scene where my heroine is stuck in the snow, since I had all of the details so fresh in my mind!

6 comments:

Anissa said...

I'm so glad it all worked out with the snow. That's scary.

I totally know how you feel about leaving work. I cried. And I'm not a crier. I was so happy and excited to be doing it, but knew I'd miss all the people. When it was actually time to go, it was really hard. Walking out that last time... Wistful is a good word. But as I drove home that day, all the while thinking, "no more of this crappy commute," it started to fade. By the time I got home, I was in awe. All done. Big wow. So congratulations! When you wake up tomorrow, you won't believe it. :)

Melissa Amateis said...

Wow. I want to be able to leave my job! I'm trying to make that a reality, but I also recognize that I'm not going to be able to just stay home everyday. I'd fall into a depression quick.

How absolutely wonderful that you are able to achieve this, though. I'm so happy for you! And so glad you got home safely. :)

Jennifer said...

Congratulations, Robin! I know how long you've been wanting this. But of course the "wistful" part is there, too. Being home with kids is a very lucky thing to be able to do. But it's a very hard thing too, in many little ways. Enjoy, enjoy...but it's ok not to enjoy everything about it, all of the time. And it's ok to miss bits of "your old life" sometimes too. :)

Renee' said...

A new chapter in your life!
I'm so happy and filled with excitement for your family!
You're a great wife and mom Robin.
Hugs, hugs and more hugs!!!

Therese said...

Hi Robin--

Wow, what a milestone moment for you (the job stuff, not the snowstorm)!

All best wishes for a happy transition and no more snow emergencies. :-)

Kimber Li said...

Good for you, Robin. Be sure to let yourself climatize to your new life. I was a nanny before I became a stay-at-home mother. One would think I would have glided right into it. Not so. Took me about two years to find my groove. Nannies don't do housework, cook all the meals, or breastfeed, you know. And, here was the shocker for me, Mommies are on the job 24 hours a day, seven days a week and we don't get paid one red dime! Do you have any idea how much money a nanny with my education and experience is earning right now? Well, I'd tell you, but then I would throw up. And you want to know the crazy thing? I'd love to adopt.