Thursday, February 22, 2007

Bad v. Badly

I've finally got the grammar rule down for this one! Have you, like me, wondered if it's correct to say "I feel bad" or "I feel badly?"

Well, wonder no more! I've just found the Grammar Girl's podcast - so much fun.

So, anyway, if you are trying to communicate that you are sad, or ill, or otherwise not up to par, the correct usage is: I feel bad.

Bad is an adjective, and therefore modifies the noun "I". It is you who are bad.

Badly is an adverb, and so modifies the verb. If "you feel badly" then your you have some sort of nerve damage and your sense of touch doesn't work.

I am so happy to finally have the answer to this question!

5 comments:

Melissa Amateis said...

Y'know, I don't think I've ever stopped to think about this distinction before. But if I run into this in my writing, I'll know exactly what to do! :-)

Kathleen said...

that is so interesting!

Anissa said...

Makes perfect sense now that you've explained it!

Kimber Li said...

Oh, that sounds cool. Does Grammar Girl slap people with wet cyber-noodles? Because, I'd get slapped a lot, if she does. I already have a severe case of adverbitis.

ORION said...

I feel baddest!
Does that work?
Saw your post after mine on Miss Snark - I think you are right on - I feel it is always best to mention personal experience. Kristin is voicing her particular opinion that is not necessarily held by other agents. You are NOT committing "querycide" (I love that word!)
Re grammar.
My personal waterloo is lie lay lying.
I was pleased to see my copyeditor have the same problem...