Tuesday, February 27, 2007

My poor little bathroom

As you all know I recently moved into a *new* house - new to me, that is. It's actually 102 years old. So the bathroom was an afterthought, to be sure. It's situated off the kitchen and under the stairs. Not a great location, but I can live with it.

However... here's the thing, there is some sort of odd lineoleum on the walls of the shower. It's ugly, and not supposed to go on walls, so I thought I'd replace it pretty easily. Hmm... so it turns out I can't take out the tub and put in an enclosure, because there is a load bearing pillar coming down from the stairs to the corner of the tub. The tub stays put! Apparently my only option is to tile those two walls. Which is fine, I like tile. Then I can have the tub refinished if I want.

But here's the problem, according to the guy at Home Depot, I'll have to rip out those two walls completely to get a flat surface for the tile. UGH! And if I'm doing that, maybe I should replace the fixtures for the tub while I'm at it because I hate them and you have to rip out the wall to do that... and I don't want to do it twice.

The rest of the (very small) bathroom is fine for now. I eventually want to put in a new floor and vanity/sink, but that can wait. The shower, however, can't wait long because I don't want to get moisture in those walls. And they're ugly!

If anyone has had any experience doing anything remotely like this, please let me know. I'm thinking that I might be able to tile myself, but I don't think I can put in drywall or greenboard myself. What do you all think?

I'll post pictures soon!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I recently did new backerboard and tile in my bathroom. It's not that hard just time consuming and messy. A few pieces of advice:

1. If you are going to rip the wall apart and you have old cast iron pipes take the hit and replace them even if they aren't leaking (I didn't and I'm paying for it now).

2. When putting in the backerboard make sure it is flush and level w/ the surrounding dry wall. Taking extra time on the fit will make laying tile go much easier and faster.

3. Make a template (a long straight piece of wood w/ tile and spacer markings) before you lay any tile. It makes it much easier to get your cuts right.

Good luck!

traci said...

ummm... sounds like it's time to track down the Time/Life how to books. Good luck.

Melissa Amateis said...

Looks like Loren gave you some great advice!

Thankfully, when we moved into our old house, they had completely remodeled the kitchen and bathroom.

Good luck!