Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Subplots

I'm the victim of my subplot taking over my main plot. I've heard of this phenomenon, and have now experienced it first hand. So I've been going through and mercilessly axing the subplot into submission - attributing some of the fun parts to the main character, cutting out a POV character... I've been ruthless!

I know recind my previous statement about the hardest part of writing being the initial creation - staring at a blank screen. I now think it's cutting stuff you love, but realize just doesn't work. Then trying to figure out what to work back in, what you can salvage and what you can't, and coming up with new material to fill in the blanks.

This is why I'm vowing to actually outline the next book!

Anyone else have this issue?

1 comment:

Melissa Amateis said...

I'm learning that I need to definitely have a good outline in place for my next novel so I don't have this problem!