Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Prepping for the finale

Yes, the Top Chef finale is tomorrow. Prepare yourselves, everyone. It's down to Ilan and Marcel. Now, I realize that my heart is really out of the competition now that my beloved Sam had been eliminated.

But still, I'll watch... of course.

The question now becomes, who am I cheering for? Excellent question.

Up until just a few weeks ago, I felt really good about Ilan. He was solid in his dishes, quietly holding things together and producing food that the judges loved. He wasn't very flashy and didn't call a lot of attention to himself, but he delivered time and time again.

Marcel drove me crazy with all of his scramblings to get on top and seeming disregard for the other chefs.

But in the last few weeks things changed. Ilan not only made known that Marcel drove him crazy, he really went to great lengths to make life difficult for Marcel. He repeatedly needled him for his lack of a love life, he slammed his dish TO THE DINERS in the seven deadly sins episode. He did a foam on one dish as an "homage" to Marcel that was really a way to ridicule him and he and Elia just tried one last time to get him sent home in the last episode. Enough already. This is not the strong, silent chef we saw in previous weeks.

Marcel on the other hand has taken it all with a smile, never cussed anybody out, and continued to focus on the food. Still, it's hard to picture him as the "Top Chef" given his crazy personality.

I believe, all that said, I'll be hoping that Marcel takes it, but I'm fairly ambivalent. (Not apathetic, just strongly ambivalent!)

No comments: