Wednesday, January 31, 2007

More on books

First of all, thank you for the recommendation in the comment trail! I just added Angle of Repose to my Frugal Reader wish list on "auto request". Once I get my new library card (more on that later) I'll see if the library has it, too. :)

I also just Frugal Readered (yes, it can be a verb, too!) Mistress of Spices by Chitra Divakaruni - I heard her interviewed about her book "Sister of My Heart" but this is the one that was available and sounds like a really interesting, unusual read and I really like books set in India or having to do with the Indian-American experience, so high hopes. I also ordered a Robert Littell spy thriller that I'm hoping is captivating.

I was reflecting, this morning on some of my favorite books in past years: The English Patient (don't judge it by the movie. The fact that Minghella was able to make such a sweeping, epic from the book is brilliant, because the book itself reads like a poem with hints of plot. Just beautiful) Another one was Possession by A. S. Byatt - I love the interplay of past and present when it's done really intricately in novels.

Anyway - I'm hoping that some of these recent orders stack up! If you all have any more recommendations, keep 'em comin'!!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Hey Rob - I just left a couple of my favorites on that post of yours below. I can always use suggestions myself!