Saturday, April 14, 2007

Saturday Night - thoughts on characters

Well, I got some good editing time in today (Gigi napped - YAY!) and am now on Chapter 7. Sadly, the nap seemed to have an adverse affect on bedtime and she's still up. ARGH!

I've been thinking a lot about characterization today and about characters that leap off the page or screen and become real in my mind. I thought I'd ask what characters have done that for you?

My top ten list is: Jay Gatsby, Elizabeth Bennet, Mr. Darcy, Heathcliff, C.K. Dexter Haven (from The Philadelphia Story), Tracy Lord (ditto), Lorelai Gilmore, Luke Danes, Sawyer (Lost), and Mr. Rochester

Your turn! I've left out a ton of good ones, but had to cap it somewhere. :)

3 comments:

Melissa Amateis said...

Nicolas from Jude Deveraux's A Knight in Shining Armor; Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights; Scarlett and Rhett from GWTW; Ramonz Quimby by Beverly Clearly; Nancy Drew. I'm sure there are tons more!

Fun question!

Therese said...

From the TV show "House," I love House.

At the movies--don't know the character's name but the guy Clive Owen played in "Closer." Whew!

In fiction...Scarlett and Rhett for sure; the monster in Frankenstein; Humbert Humbert in Lolita--to name a few.

It's a good exercise for character study!

Kathleen said...

great question! How did I miss this post?

a few that come to mind: Miles Vorkosigan (from the Vorkosigan sci fi series), definitely Elizabeth bennet and Darcy. Lionel from Motherless Brooklyn. Jasper Fforde's Mis Havisham was an awesome character.