Thursday, April 26, 2007

Still in shock

Yesterday I was listening to one of my regular podcasts, a show that interviews writers, and I heard something that nearly made me swerve off the road... the interviewer, a writing teacher and published author, mentioned that she wasn't a fan of Jane Austen. She went on to say something to the effect of "not that I really have a problem with Austen" at which point I might have been choking at the suggestion that someone have a problem with Jane Austen.

I've sinced reminded myself that everyone has different tastes and that's alright. Diversity makes the world go 'round and all that. Though truth be told I still find it incredible.

It reminded me of college when The English Patient was a huge deal among us lit majors - both the book and the movie - and a friend of mine said to me in all seriousness that she'd just seen the movie with some friends and -'gasp'- they didn't like it! She said she really wasn't sure she could be friends with people who didn't like the English Patient. I think I was able to assure her that, although I certainly felt her pain, she surely had other things in common with her friends. ;)

So the point of this post is:

Are there any books, authors, tv shows, movies etc that you hold so dearly you really can't understand why the whole world doesn't feel the same way? Austen clearly ranks up there for me!

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

So is now a good time to admit to you that I think Jane Austen is..."enjoyable enough" but not much more than that? (*ducking*)

Jennifer said...

Um, oh yeah. Also. I thought The English Patient was kind of slow-moving. And I HATED Bridges of Madison County! (*grin*)

Kathleen said...

ack! Jen! say it isn't so! ;)

This is a funny topic Rob, because I feel like I have had this exact conversation/argument with C over several different authors, but I can't recall which ones!!

I do remember a related argument with a couple of (male) friends who were basically like "Why do I have to read A Room of One's Own", I already know that its message is "women need a room of one's own"? I was flabbergasted, and basically responded with, why read anything then, since you almost always know the "message"?

Robin L. said...

Ack! I'm still reeling from your mentioning The Bridges of Madison County in the same breath with The English Patient. NOOOOO!!!!!

I hated Bridges too. I read one page, then refused to read more, watch the movie, or consider the name Francesca on principle. LOL!

And I do think it's a little different for a reader, such as yourself, to not like Jane Austen, then for someone who writes literary fiction. So I'm giving you a pass. Aren't you happy! ;)

But the question is what do YOU love that much! I know what you DON'T love...

Jennifer said...

What do I love that much? Let's see...


Barbara Kingsolver (fiction and non, but NOT The Prodigal Summer)

Jack Kerouac (fiction)

Tom Robbins (fiction)

Little House on the Prairie (tv)

How To Make An American Quilt (movie)

Harold and Maude (movie)

The Grateful Dead and Lyle Lovett and The Counting Crows (music)


Anything that makes you say, "WHAT?" ;)

Robin L. said...

Anything that makes you say, "WHAT?" ;)

Um... though I already knew this was a favorite of yours... Little House. I'm sorry! I've never been able to read about or watch anything having to do with prairies/farms/country. I *finally* read Anne of Green Gables this year and really did like it, so maybe I should give Little House another try. ;)

But I'm totally with you on Lyle Lovett, Kingsolver, and How to Make an American Quilt!! Lyle is actually in my top three favorite living singers - right under Mr. Isaak. ;)

Anissa said...

I'm right there with you on Austen. As for others, I'll have to think. My brainpower is fading fast...

Melissa Amateis said...

I wasn't too fond of The English Patient, either! BUT...I saw it a long time ago. If I watched it again, I might have different feelings.

For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would think Daniel Craig is not PERFECT as James Bond. ;-)

HB said...

I'll chime in here too.

Rob already knows that I *hated* the English Patient. Elaine in the Seinfeld episode? So me.

Bridges never interested me, so no opinion there.

I actually *do* enjoy Austen quite a bit: Emma, Pride & Prejudice - but once is enough. (I don't re-read.)

I love Barbara Kingsolver and I'm also a closet Little House fan, both the books and the TV show.

Oh, I know one that people think I'm crazy for loving - the original Alice's Adventures in Wonderland book by Lewis Carroll.

Kimber Li said...

Good morning! I actually only like a couple of Jane Austins and I don't love any of them. Sorry!

I can't understand why there aren't more babies and children in romance novels. I mean, c'mon, that's what people have when they shag like minks! I love children so much, my own and other children, that I just can't understand why other readers wouldn't want more children characters in romance novels. I mean, it's just bizarre to me!